Thursday, April 28, 2011

Betty Crocker gives gluten free eaters hope!

I know I was strictly on the Baby Cakes bake book, however I was looking for a coffee cake recipe (because I was CRAVING IT!!!) and I found one by better crocker. This recipe is more "pantry" friendly. It calls for regular sugar and eggs and butter, however you will need gluten free bisquit mix. What is awesome about using the GF bisquick mix is that it's a combination the dry ingredients you would typically use, like baking powder, baking soda, and the binding ingredient xanthan gum . I can't tell you how easy this recipe was! Now, if Betty Crocker is making GF baking goods, then there IS hope! However, if you are vegan or like that approach better, Baby Cakes is defiantly a better choice, it is far more natural tasting, while this recipe is sweeter.

My husband is going to come home and laugh at all these baked goods I expect him to eat tonight! I have many assortments!

The coffee cake is was very moist and spongy. I would suggest using milk instead of water if you try this. I used water to try and cut some of the dairy out but I should have just used some of the almond milk, but better luck next time I guess! Since this available online I won't feel bad just posting the recipe, so here is the link!http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/cinnamon-streusel-coffee-cake-gluten-free/40a85d19-bb0b-4a9b-bac1-74b4bd54cd28. It really takes no time and it would be perfect for a Sunday brunch with coffee or dessert ( like right now as I am watching a movie and eating coffee cake and waiting oh so patiently for husband to get home from class...) If anyone actually makes this, or anything I blog about or anything really...PLEASE comment to me! I would love to hear how other people's are turning out! Happy baking!!
mrs. melcher

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this cake is was very good and had cinnamon spread throughout. I have noticed that gluten free is being more readily available. Hopefully some of the ingredients will be easier to find since I know sometimes you have to hunt when you are looking for something that not everyones uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommates are vegetarians, and I think used to be vegans (I honestly don't keep track of their dietary preferences, heh) but I know going shopping with them is always interesting because they really get into the ingredients. Seeing more and more people pay a lot of attention to that is making me realize I should pay more attention to what I eat... should probably also learn to cook past just throwing stuff from the fridge into a frying pan or my rice cooker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! You make a good point about about paying attention to ingredients...i have noticed that the ingredients are very "clean" if that makes sense.. haha! Thanks for commenting, I glad someone cares!

    ReplyDelete